· Plan far in advance.
· Make a thorough checklist and start the process early.
· Protect critical files & Photos. Store copies on a hard drive or upload to a cloud server.
· Photograph your cords. Take pictures with your smartphone or digital camera so when it comes time to reconnect, you will know what goes where.
· Pet arrangements. Board with kennel or friends during the actual loading & unloading of furniture.
· Post Office. Forwarding address submitted and free moving guide available with coupons.
· Color code or designate clearly every box. Boxes must be packed by room for ease of unpacking at the other end of the move.
· 1st night & essentials box. In case you arrive late to your new home & don't want to unpack right away.
· Cleaning supplies box. In case you have not hired a cleaning service for your new residence.
· Valuables box. Not to be sent with movers. Items like passports, birth certificates, jewelry etc.
· Save receipts. If your move is related to a job transfer or new job, you may be able to deduct part or all of the moving costs.